This Delicious Sweet & Sour Chicken is exceptionally juicy and tender and works perfect as a main course or even as a side!
The thing about sweet and sour chicken is that it is super simple yet, super delicious!
If you enjoy a little umami flavour in your food or would just like a bit of a kick in your cooking, this dish is for you!
The process at the start of making sweet and sour chicken is a bit like fried chicken. You have to make the batter, let the chicken rest in the batter and then fry. You could just stop then and eat, but we recommend coating it with the sauce for optimum flavour.
Also, as mentioned above, this dish goes great with rice or even in a salad!
PS: If you would like to find a recipe to add in this dish, check out our Quinoa Salad, Vegetarian Couscous and our Chicken Couscous
Here are some tips for making this recipe:
- It is important to let the chicken marinade for the full one hour to let it immerse itself in fully in the marinade!
- Remember to let a beautiful golden brown crust form on the chicken while frying. This ensures, good colour and also tenderness along with flavour.
- Feel free to experiment with the sauces try adding worcester sauce, chilli sauce or if you think you can take it, try hot sauce!
- If there is anything else we can do to assist you, please use our live chat below or e-mail us directly at [email protected] so we can help you. We always look forward to helping you!
We like to use the Kikkoman Japan Made Soy Sauce for this recipe as it provides a good flavour:
Sweet & Sour Chicken
- Large Pan or Wok
- ½ Kg Organic Chicken Chopped into chunks
- ¾ Tsp Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 1 Egg
- 200 Ml Oil For shallow frying
- 50 Ml Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Teriyaki Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- ½ Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ Tbsp Sugar
- ½ Red Onion
- ½ Green Bell Pepper
- ½ Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Carrot Finely Chopped
- Cut the chicken breast meat into bite-size cubes and marinate with the required marination ingredients. Combine everything well and then marinate for one hour½ Kg Organic Chicken, ¾ Tsp Baking Powder, ½ Tsp Salt, 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour, 2 Tbsp Water
- After marination, shallow fry the chicken on a high heat, until it develops a golden brown skin or is fully cooked.200 Ml Oil
- After shallow frying, on a low heat, cook and combine the tomato sauce, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar and sugar and they dissolve and form a uniform mixture1 Egg
- Finally, add in the vegetables and the chicken. Make sure everything is well coated with the sauce.
- Let it cook for one minute, then remove it from the heat and then serve!
Happy Cooking and Enjoy This Dish!
Delicious! It is amazing how simple it is!
Hi Foodfan, Awesome to know you like the recipe! Agreed, it is really interesting how simple this dish is!